[Dixielandjazz] Small band swing and dixieland

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 17 16:17:10 PST 2011

On 17/02/2011 07:18, Marvin Ipswich wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I am a little perplexed by your latest posting on this subject. The original
> post was referring to the recording by James P. Johnson of After You've
> Gone. My point was I don't consider *that session* to be dixieland. That
> session has nothing to do with the other sessions pointed out in your latest
> email.

Surely part of the qualification for Dixieland is collective
improvisation. The 1949 (or 50) sessions of Gene Krupa's Chicago Jazz
with Wild Bill, Peanuts Hucko etc, are certainly 'Dixieland' in an
accepted sense. The Armstrong All-stars might well be classed as
Dixieland whereas the Kansas City 6 on Commodore were not.
The ODJB were always Dixieland.
As for Johnson's After You've Gone - 'Swing' as far as I'm concerned.
--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com