[Dixielandjazz] JATP / Gonsalves / Ellington - was small band bebop - dixieland.

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 17 14:28:20 PST 2011

On 17/02/2011 21:35, Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Rabble rousing? Sure, if jazz audiences are to be considered rabble. But
> then, didn't jazz start as rabble rousing music? And develop a large
> audience because of rabble rousing music. Doesn't the rabble pay the
> bills? And as an aside, should we consider the band and the Duke who
> loved that performance as rabble too?
>
> Perhaps one of the problems we have with jazz today in the USA, lack of
> audience, is because we forgot about the rabble, oops, I mean audience.
> IMO there too much "art" these days and not enough good old exciting
> rocking rhythmic blues based jazz that excites the audience.

Not just in the USA, here too, Steve.
When Kenny Davern toured here he was normally put out with a very polite
'mainstream' quartet. Kenny was always a hot player and didn't sound too
comfortable in that setting. He recorded a trio set with Art Hodes and
Colin Bowden which came out on a CD a few years ago - much better. The
sessions he did with my swing band and trio were more rabble rousing
than polite - but then I've never been polite.

> I am working more OKOM in Philadelphia than any other OKOM band. In a
> variety of venues. Because we haven't lost sight of the younger
> generation audience. Are we artists? Sure (tongue firmly in cheek) but
> we also know how to excite the audience. Duke at Newport and Louis with
> the All Stars were our role models.

Quite right too! I'll be working two nights this week with my swing band
for a hall crammed with 500 young jive dancers. Not a grey head or a
zimmer frame to be seen anywhere. Will we be polite? Not a chance!

Listening to 'Diminuendo' as I write this. Terrific!

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ