[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Bassoon

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 09:06:54 PST 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 2:20 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote
> To: Hal Vickery <hvickery_80 at msn.com>
>

> How about Illinois Jacquet?  He did some pretty goodones on the
> bassoon.
> Cheers

And how about Paul Hanson playing Miles Davis' Donna Lee (Back Home
Again In Indiana Chord Changes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYE5G1C9MQ

Also Dave Brubeck made an album circa 1951--1952 with Fred Dutton on
bassoon. You can hear a clip at:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1034886/a/Stardust.htm

Listen to "Somebody Loves Me", track 8 and hear the bassoon at the
beginning of the tune, playing a descending line on the intro. I had
the record and have since given it away, but I was intrigued by the
bassoon and that particular intro, which I have reprised many times
with my American Songbook Trio. Guitar playing the ascending line and
me on clarinet playing the descending line.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband