[Dixielandjazz] JATP / Gonsalves / Ellington - was small band bebop - dixieland.

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu Feb 17 01:24:11 PST 2011

You only have to hear the filigree delicacy of the original performance of Crescendo and Diminuendo (included in the new Mosaic box) to realise what a
crude travesty the Newport one was.
Gonsalves is one of my favourite saxophonists, and he excelled at ballads and sensible things, not these marathons
which would be banal whether played by him, Lester, Getz or any on the decent players.
Fine for rabble rousing, but not much else.

Steve Voce