[Dixielandjazz] Goofus Five

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 16 16:02:59 PST 2011

Bob Smith asked:
> Dear Bill,
> Do you have the definitive line-up for the Goofus Five's Vo-Do-Do-De-O Blues (matrix No.: 81016-B)?
> There's a big discrepancy between the sleeve and "Jazz Directory".
> There's only agreement on Chelsea Queasley (Cor); Adrian Rollini (Bs-sx, goofus); Herb Well (d)

Dear Bob,
That 15 June 1927 Okeh Goofus Five (8 men) rendition has always been my favourite version of that song.
And probably the 'hottest'.
My introduction to it was on a Philips LP back in the 60s.
You refer to the "big discrepancy between the sleeve and 'Jazz Directory'" but do not mention what sleeve.
I also presume by 'Jazz Directory' that you are referring to the incomplete discography series from the 1950s compiled by Albert J McCarhy and my dear fried, drummer, Dave Carey.
Which provides: Chelsea Quealey (t) Al Philburn (tb) Bobby Davis (cl/as) Sam Ruby (ts) Adrian Rollini (bssax/goofs) Irving Brodsky (p) Ray Kitchingman (bj) Herb Weil (d).
(As Kitchingman left the California Ramblers [the source band for the Goofus Five's small group Okeh recordings] in mid 1925 and was replaced by Tommy Felline, I assume that the JD itentification was an early guess. Ditto Irving Brodsky.)

Brian Rust's 'Jazz Records" (latest 2002 edition) lists: Quealey, Philburn, Davis, Ruby, Rollini, Jack Russin, Felline, Weill.

The Timeless CD (CBC 1-017) uses the Rust personnel: Quealey, Philburn, Davis, Ruby, Rollini, Russin, Felline, Weill.

Tom Lord's 'The Jazz Discography' (version 11) also provides: Quealey, Philburn, Davis, Ruby, Rollini, Russin, Felline, Weill.
All agree.

Okeh (pun intended), my mouldy old ears still tell me the same, that it is Quealey (cornet) the wonderfully-stomping alto player Bobby Davis (as/cl), Sam Ruby (ts) Adrian Rollini (bssx/goofus) Al Philburn (tb) Jack Russin (p) Tommy Felline (bj) and the under-rated Herb Weill (d).
For those still with us, here it is:
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/goofusfive/vododo.ram

As you know, the California Ramblers recorded a "Vo-Do-Do-De-O Blues" for Columbia three weeks earlier on 26 May 1927 with a larger personnel and a slightly different frontline and vocal by Ed Kirkeby:
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/caramblers/vododo.ram
Similar arrangement, but not as swinging.
Very kind regards,
Bill.