[Dixielandjazz] Red Rodney

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 14 18:26:49 PST 2011

Red Rodney struck me on brief acquaintance as a very nice guy and a magnificent
musician. When he worked with Peter King their horns were so much in tune with
each other it was a wonderful sound which didn't seem like normal unison but a
unity in which it was hard to know what was coming from where.

The story about drug problems requires correction. When he was younger and
locked away for reasons connected with drugs, he studied accounting. When he was
free again and could not get musical works he decided to apply the training he
had received behind bars and took up the sort of creative accounting which put
him back behind bars. He said that when he was arrested he thought that at least
he might have the chance to get his chops back, but some cop kicked his teeth
in.

The drugs were I believe a thing of the past by then, and he only re-emerged
after a spell of sitting in using false teeth after release from jail, when he
became the main attraction. I first heard him shortly after hearing Dizzy
Gillespie, John Faddis and some other trumpeters of considerable capacity, and I
was still mightily impressed. He was always spoken of as a kind of culmination
of 1930s swing trumpet playing who played the later stuff with all the beauty
and lyricism of pre-bop, and that's right. I have a broadcast tape of a gig of
his I had attended and he engaged in some singing related to his involvement
with the C. Parker bio-pic, and a ballad expressing his regret that Buddy Tate
was missing the festival due to open heart surgery, which would make a few
listmates happy, as indeed would his early solos as a swing prodigy.