[Dixielandjazz] Sidney Jazz Scene

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 14 15:44:48 PST 2011

<ulf.jagfors at telia.com> wrote:
> I will be in Sidney, Au on Thursday night and Friday night. Any nice OKOM
> events going on then?

Dear Ulf,
Like most cities around the world nowadays, jazz is generally restricted to the weekend.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Sydney, Australia in no exception.
In our case, it is also close to the central city area.
Of course, it depends on where you are staying.
Unfortunately, there is no jazz to be heard in Sydney on Thursday.
And Friday this week, 18th February, only one jazz venue open.
   http://bridgecityjazzband.blogspot.com/
The venue is Club Ashfield situated right at Ashfield Railway station.
It is an unofficial Sydney Jazz Club hangout.
If you arrive by train at Ashfield from the city and look up to your right while on the platform, you can see the club and its prominent sign.
The Bridge City Jazz Band (led by banjo player Dennis Quinlan - say hello from me) has different featured guest artists every week.
This Friday, it will feature Paul Furniss (reeds), Frank Watts (piano) and Viv Carter (drums).
Other local musicians and singers call in - and sit in.
The music plays from 7:30-10:30pm.
Being a licensed club, food and drink is available at sensible prices.
The bistro is fast and efficient and the food OK.
You will enjoy it all, I'm certain. Make yourself known.
I live in East Balmain on Sydney Harbour, close to the city centre, too long by public transport to get to/from Ashfield, so we rarely go.
And I do not drink and drive. Too risky.
I will not be there this Friday.
If you need any information or help when you arrive, my home telephone number is 9810 3956.
You may like to check the Sydney Jazz Club 'Gig Guide" for the rest of the weekend to see what you are missing.
   http://www.sydneyjazzclub.com/gig_guide.html
Very kind regards,
Bill.