[Dixielandjazz] Small Band Swing or Dixieland?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 06:19:08 PST 2011

> Joe Carbery <joe.carbery at gmail.com>
>
> Why bring ethnicity into it? Does a note care what colour of person
> blows or
> sings it?
>
> Regards,

Dear Joe:

Because there should be volumes written about the kind of music I
posted. And the bands who played it. It was a part of the social as
well as the musical scene in New York City.

Unfortunately not many folks know about it, except the few of us who
were there at the time to see history. Those on the left coast might
ask Conrad Janis about the number and competence of black musician s
who switched to Dixieland when the big bands folded. And about those
blacks who played in his band.

We often hear that there were no black Dixieland bands during the
1950s and 1960s. That they switched to bop.  both Conrad and I will
tell you that there were quite a few black dixieland bands and
musicians in New York City where we were playing at the time. Like the
one fronted by James P Johnson.

You are right, notes do not care what color the musician is, but
history should accurate reflect the social aspects at the time the
music was played. And we should ask ourselves why black bands were
mostly categorized as small band swing while white bands were
categorized as Dixieland when they both played essentially in the same
style with similar instrumentation. Why, for example does "Dixieland"
seem to mean "White Bands".

That's why ethnicity was brought up. One cannot accurately describe
Dixieland jazz without giving credit where credit is due, and in this
case, credit is due BLACK MUSICIANS.

For further discussion of Small Band Swing v Dixieland, I suggest
those who have it, read the chapter on "Dixieland" in Richard
Sudhalter's book, Lost Chords.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband