[Dixielandjazz] Trombone

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Feb 13 08:54:58 PST 2011

This afternoon I dug out George Masso's and Dan Barrett's two-trombone album 'Let's Be Buddies' (Arbors ARCD 19127). What a fine album it is!
I'm enjoying it as I write. Frank Vignola on guitar,Ben Aranov on piano, one of the finest of all jazz bass players, Michael Moore, and Joe Ascione
on drums.
This was recorded in July 1993, so it's quite old now, but it hasn't worn at all.
Since his arrival, it seemed with Howard Alden, Dan has always been the best of the younger mainstream trombonists (he also plays breathtakingly
good cornet in the Hackett manner) whilst George has now retired to his home in  Narragansett, Rhode Island. He doesn't play any more
but he's left plenty of his superb trombone on records by the likes of  the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, the Benny Goodman Sextet, the Bobby Hackett
Quintet, Charlie Ventura, Eddie Miller and the of course the World's Greatest Jazz Band, where he probably became best known.
And yet he's still almost a well kept secret, because in his playing years, although he doesn't get the credit, he became one of the most beautiful
players of the horn.
And, as anyone who knows him will tell you, he's one of the greatest gentlemen in jazz.
I'm just listening to their relaxed (almost 7 minutes) and beautiful Creole Love Call, with great plunger from Dan. Lovely stuff!

Steve Voce