[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland or Small Band Swing?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 07:28:43 PST 2011

In NYC as the big swing bands started to fold, many of the black swing
players, in order to make  living, shifted to what I would call
"Dixieland", but the media and talking heads called "Small Band
Swing". Below is an example. "After You've Gone" with pretty much of a
Dixieland instrumentation. Circa 1944.

Personnel for The Blue Note Jazzmen, led by James P. Johnson, are:

Sidney DeParis (tpt); Vic Dickenson  (tb); Ben Webster (tsax), James P
Johnson (pno), Jimmy Shirley (gui); John Simmons (bs); Sid Catlett (dms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gh_YLQWy8k

When I grew up in New York, there was a lot of this type of music to
be heard, both on 52nd Street and in Harlem. Might what we hear on the
link properly be called Black New York Style Dixieland?

In any event not much of this style was recorded and it is pretty much
ignored today. That's a pity because it swings its ass off, ensemble,
solos and rhythm.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband