[Dixielandjazz] Peanuts and Mister Welk

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Fri Feb 11 14:49:24 PST 2011

On January 30, 1977, I played in a group at an affair in Woodland, CA, called "Jazz At The Elks" produced by Jack Weaver, who was a very active enthusiast with the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society.   That weekend Peanuts Hucko was our jazz society Sunday guest, so he played the Elks Club evening with us at Woodland.   At dinner I asked Peanuts how he liked playing in the Lawrence Welk orchestra.    He smiled and said, "Oh, fine, but I didn't like it when Mr. Welk introduced me as PENIS HUCKO."

Bob Newman