[Dixielandjazz] Keely Smith interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Feb 10 22:06:07 PST 2011

Keely Smith interviewed

Valentine's Day Countdown: Singer Keely Smith's Favorite Love Song
Los Angeles Times blog, February 7, 2011

Whether you need just one more track to finish off your ironically sappy mix for
your sweetheart or are searching for a tune to soothe the pain of a Valentine gone
wrong, we've got you covered.
For the next eight days, we're sharing the favorite love song from eight musicians
who are about to perform in Los Angeles. First up the singer Keely Smith, who has
her reasons for selecting the classic "All the Way" (music by Jimmy Van Heusen and
words by Sammy Cahn).
"Because of Frank Sinatra [with whom Smith had an affair; she recorded the song],
but I'm not going to go into it. I like what the song says: When somebody loves you,
it's not good unless he loves you all the way. That's pretty strong. Love is beautiful
I would never describe it as tragic. If you're in love, it's the most wonderful feeling
in the world. The guy doesn't have to be in love with you. It would help if you were
very serious about it for him to love you but you can always just have a crush."
Above is Sinatra's version and here is Smith's:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/02/valentines-day-countdown-singer-keely-smiths-favorite-love-song.html
Smith performs in concert Sunday at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

In the near future men will eat baked beans and say,
"Ah dear, these are just like those in the can mother used to open."