[Dixielandjazz] Big Business & Talent - was sicknin'

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 14:39:29 PST 2011

> Harry Callaghan <meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I must echo he sentiments of "our fearless leader" Bob Ringwald who
> only
> yesterday said "big business doesn't care about talent"

Yes, big business (music business included) doesn't care about talent.
Why should they? What they care about is what you actually do to make
money for them, not what you are capable of doing. To quote silent Cal:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not;
the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will
solve the problems of the human race."
-- Calvin Coolidge

I think that includes musical success. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband