[Dixielandjazz] Anthems

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 8 01:49:40 PST 2011

Hello all

I still not sure what a Super Bowl is but I'm now well informed on the
'Star spangled banner'.

It seems that the Yankees have made a habit of turning English tunes to
their own purposes. As well as the 'Star spangled banner we have 'My
country 'tis of thee' - better known in Anglophile circles as 'God save
the king' !

My favourite recordings of these pieces date from the 1900s - 'Star
spangled banner' by the Edison Military Band in 1902 and 'My country
'tis of thee' by the Edison Quartet in 1903. Fine quality cylinders and
orchestral arrangements that make present day performances sound banal.

Long may the land be bright,
Anton