[Dixielandjazz] 1926 Gibson Mastertone question

Misrad HaJazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Feb 7 21:57:48 PST 2011

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Did some maintenance on my '26 Gibson Mastertone yesterday (the model with the
springs and ball bearings inside the rim under the tone ring), and I am not sure
if I did a mitzvah or committed a sin. For some time now, the thing has been
making some awful buzzing noise when I play it. I've been trying to locate the
source of the noise. Apparently it doesn't get amplified with the music, so it
mainly annoys me, and not the audience, but I needed to put a stop to it.

One by one I checked the tailpiece (which had a loose cover, so I replaced it
with a new one), the action (for strings buzzing against the frets), the hooks,
armrest, and so on. I always understood that the ball bearing/spring business
inside the rim was to support the tone ring and head to reduce the problem of
temperature changes. Whenever I've disassembled the thing in the past, it always
seemed to me that the tone ring was sitting on the wood rim, and not on the ball
bearings. But I was afraid to take out all of those infernal springs and washers
and ball bearings, so I dutifully left them there.

Lately I noticed that there is a rattling noise when I shake the banjo, so I
took the thing apart and eliminated the possibilities piece by piece. With all
of the loose external metal parts removed, it still rattled. So I took the
plunge and removed all of the metal business from inside the rim and carefully
reassembled, making sure nothing else was loose.

What I got was not only no more buzzing or rattling, but it sounds to me like
the tone is considerably richer and stronger. Tonight I have a gig and will put
the beast to the test.

Anyone out there have experience with this model, or can offer any wisdom on
this subject? Of course I saved all of the parts in case I need to put them
back, or if I ever sell it and the buyer wants the original parts.

I would appreciate any commentThanks,

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Jerusalem, Israel