[Dixielandjazz] ENOUGH

dmr at domitype.com dmr at domitype.com
Mon Feb 7 17:42:02 PST 2011

I conduct, play and/or sing the SSB about 30 times a year since 1965 (in various bands and situations,) so I kinda know the song well.

 The best nearly straight version I ever heard was by a female trio from a local high school chorus - close harmony, no "extended deviations" and well rehearsed (no mixing up the lyrics...) - the fact that my stepdaughter was one of the singers had nothing to do with my opinion ;-)

I think he most effective arrangement I have played is done by the Stanford Band - the first two strains are done by unaccompanied solo trumpet, then the rest of the band joins in gradually - very powerful when done well - none of the Youtube videos I have seen capture it well, however.

The most interesting version was one arranged by a local musician/comedian who said he was trying to make the song easier to play and sing. When the tune got too high or low he changed the key, keeping it within about 7 notes. This was performed at a comedy event so I think it was OK. J. Raoul Brody was the performer.

The worst SSB experience was when I was outside of the SF Giant's baseball park on "Fan Appreciation Day" a few years ago. One of the events was an open mic audition for soloists to sing the SSB in the upcoming season. It was so horrible but I could not turn away!

Dave Richoux