[Dixielandjazz] Sickening - If you think That Was Bad...

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 7 16:00:21 PST 2011

Dixiejazzdata wrote:
> I am personally disgusted at the time devoted to this issue on a list for DIXIELAND MUSIC, it is not even related to anything Dixieland.
> I am searching youtube now looking for a Dixieland version of the National Anthem.
> I shall return if & when I find it !!!!

Dear djd.
Good luck.
I just did a file search for a recorded dixieland version of "The Star Spangled Banner" with no success.
The closest I came was Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong All Stars, George Lewis Ragtime Jazz Band. and Kermit Ruffins Barbecue Swingers in 1997.
All are from concerts.
I've just played the Louis' effort recorded at the 'Great Chicago Concert' (1 June 1956) with Louis, Ed Hall, Trummy Young, Billy Kyle, Dale Jones and Barrett Deems.
A respectful version, 1.53 long.
The George Lewis 1952 rendition is on a Jazzolgy LP (JCE27) but not in my collection.
Very kind regards,
Bill.