[Dixielandjazz] Correct Pitch in 1920.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 14:55:13 PST 2011

Glad to see Paul E's response. Certainly, Soprano Saxes were tuned in
that manner, per Bechet's experience when he bought his first one in
England. Problem with those 1920s Sopranos is that the registers were
out of tune with each other. So depending upon which register one used
the most, you either got the low pitch 435 A, or the high pitch 454 A.
Dance band musicians usually got the Low pitch instrument and Bechet
did so. However at that time some pianos were tuned to 440 A. Bechet
and others discovered that when the mouthpiece was pushed in to tune
with those pianos, the high register became extremely sharp. So a
player needed a strong lip and a broad vibrato to cover the tuning
deficiency. Bechet certainly had both.

To further complicate the matter, below is an interesting letter to
the Musical Times, volume 61, in 1920: (The Musical Times is a
classical musical journal published  in the UK since 1844,originally a
monthly but now published 4 times a year)

___Start

"BIRMINGHAM TOWN HALL ORGAN"

September 15, 1920

"Sir-- I was interested to read in your September issue, p.635, or the
contemplated alterations to the Birmingham Town Hall Organ, and the
fixing of 439 A as the pitch.I cannot, however understand your
correspondent when he states that Mr. Perkins hasa been compelled to
play a semitone higher, unless the organ pitch was below 435 A. As you
are aware, the British Music Society has passed a resolution asking
for the adoption of 435 A as the standard pitch. This will mean that
all organs and concert pianofortes must be tuned to 439 A to allow for
the sharpening which occurs with the wind instruments. Singers would
be most grateful to know that they can always rely on having the same
pitch. We performed at the 'St Matthew' Passion with the high pitch in
1906, and I am glad to say that the principals and choir survived.
After much persuasion, the Hanley Corporation adapted the organ to 439
A. This was done after consultation with Sir Henry Wood, Mr. Perkins
and other musicians. We have had the Queens Hall, London Symphony and
Halle Orchestra and have found the above
tuning most satisfactory."

Yours, &c
John James
Mons House, Havelock Place
Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

___Finish

Concert A pitch varied widely throughout the last few centuries. It
was finally standardized as 440 A between 1939 and 1955. BUT even
today, some orchestras in the USA, and Europe use 442A or 443A. And if
orchestras are playing Baroque music or certain Bach pieces, they will
use 415 A, or 460A, or even 470 A to more precisely present the music
as it was originally performed..

What to do if a clarinetist? Get several different barrel lengths, and
stick with the oboe player whose A is used for orchestra tuning
worldwide, unless there is a piano present, then tune to the piano, if
it hasn't been altered to fit orchestra pitch. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband