[Dixielandjazz] Mention of Rex Harris

James Mullins abejim7 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 12:08:58 PST 2011

The mention of Rex Harris name brought on some nostalgia to me also.  When I
was stationed at Eielson AFB in Alaska from 1957 to 1959 I was gifted a copy
of Rex Harris book entitled JAZZ.  A meteorologist who knew I liked OKOM
gave me the book and I still have it.  It is a Pelican Book with a copyright
of 1956, Fourth Edition.  Rex Harris was a staunch supporter of OKOM and he
wanted to redefine Jazz as traditional and not what we called modern or
contemporary jazz at that time.  I considered the book JAZZ as gospel at
that time although the passing of time has modified some of my views.
Louis, Ray Charles, and Johny Cash always said there were only two kinds of
music - good and bad.  I still like OKOM best and I guess Rex Harris was one
of my first examples of a "moldy fig or even mouldy figge".

Jim Mullins
Bend OR