[Dixielandjazz] Correct Pitch frequency? (was: correct pitch, Ory, Savoy Blues)

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 14:59:37 PST 2011

The story about pitch in Europe is as following.
The official standard is A = 440, in France it normaly is.
However in a country like Germany it's usually slightly higher, around 442 or 443.

I happen to have a French Clarinet and am working in the Cologne Opera House this month Februari. (in itself unique enough, since the German musicians union is strongly against French clarinets, it's only possible since I'm hired on alt sax, with double on clarinet).
It is quite difficult to reach the pitch with German symphonic orchestras on that French clarinet, I should have a shorter barrel for that.

There is a grand piano in the opera house tuned to 443, but the Oboe sometimes pitches the orchestra even slighty higher.

Of course there are other influenes, like temperature. If you have outside gigs in winter with horns, you have to play on a lower pitch then 440, since you don't get there when it's freezing.

Might also be one of the reasons of the higher pitch in the Opera house, it's extremely hot down in the pit, even now in winter.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma