[Dixielandjazz] Now A Black Female Orchestra? 'not really

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:14:29 PST 2011

There has been a TV documantary many years ago about the Sweethearts that I happened to tape on video.
Not in the beginning but in later years there were also white female musicians in that band. One of them was interviewed in that program and told about the tensions that gave.
They did one tour to Europe and that band was mixed, includin whites.

>From Wikipedia :

The International Sweethearts of Rhythm made two coast-to-coast tours in their bus. As a racially mixed band, they defied the Jim Crow laws of the South. The white women in the band wore dark makeup on stage to avoid arrest.[12][13] Despite being stars around the country, when the band traveled in the South all of the members ate and slept in the bus because of the segregation laws that prevented them from using restaurants and hotels. (Unquote)

Kind regards,

Bert Bandsma