[Dixielandjazz] Bill Gallagher remembers Dottie Bigard

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 4 07:33:34 PST 2011

To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's a link to JAZZ LIVES.  Look at right-hand column, top, and click
Bill Gallagher remembers Dottie Bigard.

Nice column with photos.

I visited the home of  late  jazz writer/historian Floyd Levin in LA some
years ago.  Floyd had a clarinet mounted on his wall which he said was a
gift from Dottie Bigard.  It was  Barney's clarinet.  Then later, I'd come
across a memoir of Barney Bigard, and much to my surprise, there was a
picture  of a musical group all in winter attire in front of an airplane
which was to take the group to Europe.  Barney, of course, was in the group
and Floyd Levin was  to accompany them, presumably as sponsor/manager.

Here's the link:   http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/

--end--