[Dixielandjazz] Now A Black Female Orchestra? 'not really

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 4 01:21:04 PST 2011

Bert Brandsma advised:
> The International Sweethearts was not a black orchestra. It was a racialy mixed group.
> Asian, Afro-Americans an white musicians played in it

Thanks Bert for correcting that.
(The name of the orch gives it away.)
And while on the subject of girl orchs (or nearly), let us not forget:

Mills Cavalcade Orchestra.  Col 3066-D, Par F-219, Stash ST113
George Brunies (tb, ldr) Florence Dieman (t)  Elvira Rohl (tp) Norman Conley, Althea Conley (tb) Jules Harrison, Marie Carpenter (as) Evelyn Pennak, Herbie Haymer (ts) Henrietta Bouschard, Rudy Berson, Sid Sidney (vln) Gladys Mosier (p) Jessie Moore (b) Frank Carlson (d) unk. vcl trio.
New York, June 11, 1935
 Lovely Liza Lee
 Rhythm Lullaby

Other than that Irving Mills managed, toured and recorded the orch (as with the Ira May Hutton aggregation) I have found nothing to link Brunies, Haymer, Carlson (and the other males) with the Cavalcade Orch. Perhaps they were added for the record date.
Yet Brunies has leader status in discographies.
Kind regards,
Bill.