[Dixielandjazz] Correct Recording Speed

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Feb 2 21:07:11 PST 2011

My first thought after reading this was - why is this person even suggesting
this? Dippermouth Blues in the key of G?

Looking at this logically, let's consider subsequent recordings of the tune.
(the original recordings (one for Gennett, one for Okeh)) are in C

Fletcher Henderson w/Louis, 1925: Bb

King Oliver (as Sugar Foot Stomp 1926): C

Benny Goodman, 1936: Bb

Bunny Berigan, 1939: Bb

Louis, 1936: Bb

as Dippermouth BLues

Johnie Miller, 1928: C

almost every subsequent version is in the key of Bb

So, if we believe this "well kept secret," the original recordings were at
the wrong speed and every band since Oliver's recording has played this tune
in the wrong key (including Oliver's own recording from 1926).

This guy (Richard Alabone) is totally out of his gourd.

Granted, some of the Hot 5 recordings ARE pitched incorrectly - but NOT
faster! They should actually play just a bit slower. Take, for instance,
Savoy Blues. The Okeh recording put the tune in G. It should be in F, the
key Ory (who wrote it) always played it in, and every subsequent recording
is in that key. But if we are to believe Mr. Alabone, even these recordings
are way too fast. Cobblers...

Regards,
Marvin