[Dixielandjazz] OOps, Re: Groundhog Hogwash!

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Wed Feb 2 12:56:04 PST 2011

This is the result of considering the views of UNOFFICIAL groundhogs.
According to official results of the viewing (at 7:25 EST) by the OFFICIAL
groundhog, by which I mean the one named Phil residing at Gobbler's Knob
in Punxsutawney, PA, the groundhog did not see his shadow.  Therefore, we
can expect an early spring.  Following the spelling of the term (IIRC) by
the principal person who takes photographs of performances at the Logan,
Ohio Washboard Music Festival, that is OFFISHUL.

Stan Klein

On Wed, February 2, 2011 3:00 pm,Don Ingle <cornet at 1010internet.com> wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 11:03:54 -0500
> From: Don Ingle <cornet at 1010internet.com>
[Dixielandjazz] Groundhog Hogwash!

> THE GROUNDHOG HAS LOOKED AND PREDICTED ? THE LYING LITTLE RODENT FROM
THE INGLE BUNKER IN NO. MICHIGAN ? It?s Groundhog Day and the lying
little rodent has taken a peek outside, saw the piles of snow that had
been dumped overnight, and went back into his cozy burrow to sleep in ?
an idea with much merit today.
> According to legend, if this fat upgrade from a squirrel sees his shadow
we?ll have six more weeks of winter. (ONLY six if we?re lucky, but we
denizens of the forests and swamps of Northern Michigan know that it
doesn?t matter if he does or doesn?t see his shadow, we?ll still be in
it up to our aspirations for more than six weeks.
> This is supposed to be a four-season state ? but we find that there are
only two seasons. If you live up north you know there are only Winter
and Road Construction seasons.
> It looked as if the brunt of the storm in terms of snowfall would stay
to the southern-more parts of Michigan, from Grand Rapids south to
Indiana and Ohio. But then we also have learned not to trust a
> weatherman?s TV prediction. Even groundhogs smirk at such mouthings.
Frankly, any one who thinks they can predict the weather around the
Great Lakes Country is either a fool or a liar. It is sometimes hard to
tell the difference.
> My car has 16 inches atop it this morning, the wind drifted snow now
covers half the pole and bird feeder, the latter hangs at 4 ? feet from
the ground, and it hasn?t quite stopped snowing as of 10:35 a.m. EDST.
Fortunately we were prepared as experienced Jack Pine Savages always
are. An extra load of firewood was laid in in case of power failure;
fresh sets of batteries for radio and flashlight were stocked; Jean?s
stock of candles renewed; pantry goods stocked with one dish type meals
and veggies and fruit; and, with special caring and forethought, some
extra bottles of a decent single malt and bottles of choice wines are
there to take the sting out of winter.
> So, Mr Groundhog, don?t let this national celebration of your psychic
powers for determining winter weather?s end give you a big head. We of
the Up North Survivors Brigade know far better how to predict when
winter is over.
> When our neighboring ?snowbirds? return from Florida, Texas, Arizona and
So. California ? THEN WINTER IS OVER!

> JAZZ CONTENT: ?Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow,? and ?Snowy
Morning Blues? (and thank you Mr. Johnson.)

--
Stanley A. Klein, D.Sc.
Managing Principal