[Dixielandjazz] Sidewalk Blues JRM vs, Marsalis

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 31 00:04:22 PST 2011

Robert Ringwald wrote [in part]:
> I much prefer the JRM version.  If I was going to listen to a recording more than once, or many times, it would be, and is the JRM version......

Dear Bob,
My own feelings exactly.
I have that 1993 Marsarlis CD ['Mister Jelly Lord') but rarely play it.

> As far as revival type bands playing the old chestnuts, I think the Bob Crosby band and the Lawson Haggart i.e. World's Greatest Jazz Bands have it all over Marsalis.  They were able to keep the spirit of the original music without making a mockery of it.  And at the same time, they were able to make it sound fresh and exciting.

Bob Crosby....aahhhh. And let's not forget Muggsy Spanier.

> Again, this is not to put down Marsalis as far as what he is doing for Jazz.  I think it is wonderful.  However, the mistakes and cornball playing is still there for everyone to hear.  Surprising that he lets the recordings get out.

Maybe, it is because, he has not really dug below the surface and absorbed it all.
That takes years.
Which may explain why he (and others in his band) use vibratile growls to simulate 'hotness'.
I also agree with you that, using his high public profile, he genuinely promotes jazz.
A Happy New Year to you and your family.
And enjoy your Caribbean playing cruise.
Kind regards,
Bill.