[Dixielandjazz] Bob Wills/Red Murrell

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 09:14:20 PST 2011

Western Swing and Dixieland Jazz one could could say are "kissing cousins".
For three years, 1986-1989, one of Western Swings best, Red Murrell, retired from broadcasting and moved to Lodi, Califrnia. He took up tenor banjo and played with Cell Block 7 for three years, he was great on the mike for announcing and vocals, played swing fiddle along with banjo and guitar. He and the ledgendary Jimmy Rivers were long-time friends too!
 Red told me that in the 1940's, he had a Western Swing Band (The Ozark Playboys) in Los Angeles and performed for weekly dances where it wasn't unusual for there to be 2000 or more people on the floor.
I could could tell many stories about his adventures...he's in the Western Swing Hall Of Fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0tKSNNRaqg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvDmVbeSWE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNAZ9zAUR8U&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcZrX1oYzpCy3e6eG_Ht1C-
Warmest regards,