[Dixielandjazz] SCD and Scots in a Warmer Clime

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 10:53:31 PST 2011

Ken wrote:

Certainly the Scots-Irish input to bluegrass music is pretty apparent,
so they were around in large numbers in the Old South. That's scarcely
surprising, since anyone who has endured a Scottish or Irish winter
will see the attraction of a (much) warmer clime.

As a descendent of Northern Mississippi Campbells near Ackerman
(Choctaw County), I can assure you that the inland parts of the Deep
South can be as miserably freezing as Scotland on occasion. That is
why I never understood "Tishomingo Blues" (in the adjacent Tishomingo
County) because the song suggests idyllic warm bayou country, unlike
the harsh red clay upland reality. It must have been the poetic ring
of the word :-)

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net