[Dixielandjazz] Dogfights & Finger Signals

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 29 01:26:28 PST 2011

If I didn’t know the approximate age group of some of the combatants in this
tag team wrestling match I could be forgiven for thinking that I’d stumbled
upon a kindergarten forum!

The dogfight saga has gone beyond beyond childish and puerile, and would be
better now described as dogshit.

Scott Anthony pointed us toward these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn_3T4vbtE

At about 1:00 and 3:09 in "That's A'Plenty" in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ8t1UpIJ-Y

I've played those nominated parts many hundreds of times in my jazz career,
and have always referred to them as 'the bridge'.

Scott does say though, that they don't fit previous descriptions of
'dogfight' - which is a term I'd never come across until this week's Battle
Royal dredged it up.

As far as finger signals for key changes I learned at age 16 in my first
professional gig that fingers down is for flat keys and fingers up is for
sharp keys.

When I re-located to Australia in the late 1960s, and got into the jazz
business here in the mid 1970s, I soon found that the same hand signals
applied here.

Indeed, when calling a keychange to G, I used middle finger right hand
pointing upwards to signal the key.

I offer that same signal to all who perpetuate these current topics.

Finally, Spike Milligan, when writing those wonderful Goon Show scripts more
than fifty years ago, created a character called Adolphus Spriggs - who he
described as being a non-playing musician.

Could Mr Spriggs have somehow infiltrated the DJML and be using someone
else's name I wonder?

Eric Holroyd
Sydney, Australia