[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 19:33:43 PST 2011

Dear Bill:

Condon had many codes for the dogfight. "Listen to That's A Plenty" on
the Mosaic reissues. Disc 4, Song 5 I think. During the bass solo,
right before the end before the band comes in on the dogfight, Condon
says something like barbaricci which IMO signaled the band to come in
on the dogfight. I'll bet no one ever heard that term before either.

If bands are reading music, and/or playing memorized arrangements,
there is no need to use the term as everyone knows where to come in.
So I can understand why you may have never heard the term.

However, I can assure you that I heard the term dogfight often used at
Condon's joint when the band had a sub or 2 in it. As you know, he
worked with a lot of musicians and if he did not have his usual
suspects, he had to cue them where to come in if the band was playing
a song with several strains and a dogfight between them.

I think almost any touring band using the same personnel etc., as you
would have heard in OZ, or anywhere for that matter, would be using
set piece arrangements probably memorized. So they would not need to
cue the band on where to come in after a solo etc., on dogfight tunes.

Having heard Kenny Davern in many different bands, I can also assure
you that those bands used the term dogfight and so did he if he was
fronting a pick-up group. Once again, the term was needed to cue the
band personnel where to come in after solos in a multi strain tune
with a dogfight.

And, as you know, several listmates here in US Bands on  both coasts
use the term dogfight. And apparently the term is "taught" at jazz
camps. I suspect most working US bands that play a variety of gigs
sometimes using subs, regularly use the term.

Much of the Dixieland work here, with those bands that play a lot of
casual gigs, involves sometimes playing with a sub or two. So you need
to be able to cue them where to come in with terms like "bridge" or
"dogfight". Or in my band, for example, our bass player was
unavailable for 4 months because of a cancer operation and I had to
use several subs. To a man they knew what "dogfight" meant.

Yes, it is my opinion that both OZ and the UK (and the rest of the
world) have a different view of jazz then most Americans. That is not
a bad thing, but rather a result of the different filters we have in
our minds. e.g. British Trad is a bit of an Oxymoron no?

Anyway, IMO jazz developed from Ragtime and March Music as well as
from popular tunes. So also IMO the terms used in march music/ragtime/
pop music would also be used in jazz. Especially terms like"dogfight"
since early jazz includes March Music. Though I have no idea wether
Terry Waldo researched the term or where it may appear i older books.

Regarding my "Probably because your musicians skipped the Ragtime era,
and the Marching Band era as a precursor to the development of jazz."
I think you misunderstood it. I was referring to the usual story that
in the US jazz developed from those sources and coalesced into jazz
about 1917 with a bunch of US jazz bands forming.

I don't think there were too many bands in OZ and the UK that were
playing jazz say from 1917 to 1925. I could be wrong and you will know
better than I if I am, but I am of the opinion that jazz bands oversea
were copies of jazz bands in the USA after we invented the genre.

And, if you did not go to the below site mentioned prior in my note to
Jack Mitchell, please read it now. (nothing to do with dogfight, but a
VERY INTERESTING view of early "jazz", by a respected researcher from
2005)

http://www.odjb.com/Documents/New%20Orleans%20International%20Music%20Colloquium%20ODJB2_Jack%20Stewart.pdf

Cheers,
Steve Barbone