[Dixielandjazz] Garlic - Was Flats & Sharps.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 19:18:49 PST 2011

> "Jim O'Briant" <jobriant at garlic.com>
>
> John McClernan wrote:
>
>> Hey! Don't knock the scrapple unless you know what's in it.
>> (We don't know either!) Besides, that's not a Philly creation,
>> it's Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch).
>
> It's still pretty gross.
>
>> Next time you are in town, I'll treat you to some turkey
>> scrapple. THAT'S the ne plus ultra!
>
> If "ne plus ultra" were Latin for "really really gross," I'd agree
> with
> you..... LOL
>
> Jim O'Briant
> Gilroy, CA
> Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers

Dear John:

Here's Jim in Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world, that you can
smell from 30 miles away nearly in San Jose or Monterrey, calling our
good old scrapple gross? VBG

Many's the time in the 1960s when I lived in Sausalito we would drive
to the Sports Car Races at Laguna Seca and inhale that garlic smell
from miles away.

Musical content: It always reminded me of Andy Russo's trombone(he
loved garlic). When I would stand near him in Nick's on W. 10th Street
in the late 1950s, I could easily smell the garlic. I forgot who
bought that horn when Andy passed, but remember him telling me he
washed it out many times but still could not eliminate all of the
garlic oder.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband