[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 07:21:44 PST 2011

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote
>

> Dear Jazzmates,
> In well over 60 years of listening and reading about jazz, I have
> never, ever, heard the term 'dogfight' used.
> Until this week.
> Must be a regional US thing.
> Kind regards,

Dear Bill:

Regional indeed, humph!

So then is "jazz" regional. Invented in the US of A and copied
throughout the rest of the world. But if you are going to copy it,
than copy the history also, lest you misinterpret the genre. VBG.

BTW, many bands, at least in the USA, correctly use the term and
leaders using "head" arrangements, will call out "DOGFIGHT" after
several solo choruses to indicate where the ensemble should come in.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband