[Dixielandjazz] Ice Cream - Marsalis Clapton & Barber

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 07:14:34 PST 2011

Dear Bert:

I know. I Posted it tongue in cheek to show how the music changes over
the years. Here is an even later Chris Barber rendition (1997)  of the
tune. VBG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsX_wcTpD0&feature=related

And here, I think, is that 1959 performance as a comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLH9qzE4lw

Of course, compared to Marsalis who/played the tune once or maybe
twice, Barber probably played it about 1000 times.

Also interesting are the numerous George Lewis (who may have triggered
British Trad) versions  VBG

1944 (w/Baby Dodds on drums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsu0eMpjpvA

1949
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJ6xseixeA

1954
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Df5d-jyoqc

1965 (as a sideman in a local band in Connecticut)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uud-S2FpvXY

Cheers,
Steve Barbone