[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight???

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Dec 27 18:51:01 PST 2011

David, my disagreement with your definition is in detail only.

Most "dogfight" strains are 8, 12 or 16 measures long. Some are longer --
"Stars and Stripes Forever" has a 24-measure dogfight.

The dogfight is general between repetition of the same strains, rather than
serving to modulate from one strain to another. Most often, the dog fight
will start in a minor key (usually the relative minor of the major key of
the trio), and end on the Dominant Seventh of the trio key, leading back to
the trio.

But there are so many exceptions that it's hard to define exactly.

"I may not be able to define a dogfight strain, but I know one when I hear
one."

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers