[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton, Lyrics Ice cream

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 06:12:22 PST 2011

What I found interesting about the Marsalis / Clapton version is that he sings the 1950's version of the lyrics.
Earlier this year, while on tour with his band, I asked Chris Barber about these vocal lines and why they differ from the original version of the 1920's.
 He then told me, that in the 1950's they changed the lyrics, since several of the Ice flavours mentioned in the original didn't exist in the United Kingdom.
 I teased him a bit , and asked if he was sponsored at that time by Coca Cola, but that was not the case. (Coke should have done that, of course!)
 To my ears the Clapton / Marsalis version is not bad at all, I've heard much worse, but there are few versions that are better.
A very exiting version exists from 1959, Barber live at the Deutschlandhalle, Berlin.
Both trumpet and clarinet solo's on that version are clearly better then what I hear on the Marsalis Cd, but we shouldn't forget that the CB band in that time could play thismusic daily for large audiences without having to play other kinds of music to make a living. And Monty Sunshine, to mention just one, was an excellent musician of course.
BTW, Eric Clapton also made recordings with Chris Barber, and does have a lot of respect for CB, who was an inspiration for many Rock musicians from the UK, like some Rolling Stones / Beatles category have mentioned.
Kind regards,
 Bert Brandsma Inialoane 28 9263 RD Garijp The Netherlands phone ++31 653 463730