[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight???

Rickz rickz at usermail.com
Sun Dec 25 16:48:05 PST 2011

On 12/25/2011 3:33 PM, Jim O'Briant wrote:
> Phil Wilking wrote, in part:
>
>> ... Now onto my soapbox:
>>
>> Trad jazz is a job for a team, not a gaggle of individualist would-be
> stars.
>
> I couldn't agree more. The most exciting times to play and to listen to trad
> jazz, for me, are not the solos, but the ensembles where a group of "team
> players" are successfully improvising counterpoint.
>
> Jim O'Briant
> Gilroy, CA
> Tuba&  Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers

When I went to the first San Diego Trad Jazz Workshop, Bob Shultz taught
me about the "Dogfight"
That's the last chorus (or two) after the front line has finished their
solos, and maybe some solos
from the rhythm guys like me.

The leader holds up his fight and shouts "Dogfight" and it's every man
for himself!!  Of course,
they know what part they play, and they play that.  You can hear it in
most good band's last chorus or two, and it's always very exciting to me.

Calling it for the Nighthawks is even more exciting for me, of course.

Rick Jolley
Colorado Nighthawks.