[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 25 14:25:23 PST 2011

Scott Anthony wrote:
> I think Marsalis sandwiched a really nice trumpet solo chorus between two ridiculous, musically nonsensical, completely show-off  "listen to what I can do" choruses. They just plain put me off. In fact, oddly, they made me a little angry for some reason.

Dear Scott,
I believe Mr Marsalis was attempting to demonstrate the New Orleans' "talking trumpet" effect popularised by young King Oliver.
It is said that Oliver could converse with his musicians using his cornet and mute.
Unfortunately, there are no examples of this on his records, except perhaps for the breaks on "Wa Wa Wa".
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ZfpO9RE6g
One of Oliver's features was, allegedly, a 'talking' version of "Oh How I Miss You Tonight" which "used to drive audiences wild."
It has been claimed in interviews that other early New Orleans trumpet/cornet players used this novelty technique.
Clyde McCoy's popular "Sugar Blues" from 1931 also comes to mind.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-F6G6EnVw
As does the 18 February 1931 King Oliver version, which I suspect was really a Brunswick 'cover' of the 22 January 1931 McCoy hit released that month by Columbia.
Like you, the strange, overlong, Marsalis choruses put me off.
But, as Steve Barbone reminds us, jazz is entertainment for the public. And that is who Mr Marsalis is targeting.
Very kind regards,
Bill.