[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 12:39:26 PST 2011

I just tried to categorize the different styles of Trad Jazz that each type
of banjo is best suited for, and then gave up, because I kept thinking of
exceptions to my categories. The upshot is, the best type of banjo to learn
depends on what sounds best to you.

Tenor banjo (either 17 or 19 fret) is higher in pitch, and will therefore
cut through the sound of the rest of the band more. I usually associate it
with "older" styles and the "British Trad" sound. Tenor banjo is also
somewhat more amenable to single-string solo playing, and if you ever played
cello or viola, notes on the fingerboard are laid out exactly the same since
the tuning is identical.

Plectrum banjo with 22 frets is somewhat mellower in sound because the pitch
is lower. The standard tuning is different from any other instrument (except
for "C-tuning" on a 5-string banjo), but it CAN be tuned to the same pitch
as the top (highest pitch) 4 strings of a guitar (or baritone uke). This
makes it easy for a guitar player to double on banjo, but guitar tuning
definitely sounds different from standard tuning because the chord voicings
are different. Most people, except other banjo players, probably would not
notice this. Note that it is possible to tune a tenor banjo with it's
shorter neck and fewer frets down in pitch to either standard plectrum
tuning or guitar tuning, but NOT the reverse. Trying to tune a banjo with a
longer plectrum neck up to tenor tuning is practically impossible without
breaking strings.

I started playing banjo on a tenor, but after a couple of years switched to
plectrum. That was 52 years ago but I can still get around reasonably well
on a tenor although I don't have one now and haven't ever needed to play one
on a job. It seems that once your brain gets used to one set of chords
(there are only 12 basic chord "formations" on any 4-string instrument (but
each has many alterations)) it is easy to learn another set for a different
tuning.

One thing that might influence your decision is that starting on a tenor is
PAINFUL unless you have an extremely good instrument with great action. The
strings, being pitched quite a bit higher, are much "tighter" and pressing
them down to get a good clean sound is more difficult and may discourage
especially young players until they get the callouses built up on their
fingers. Also, chords on a tenor seem to me to require more stretching than
plectrum chords.

Hope this helps!

Scott Anthony