[Dixielandjazz] Bob Brookeyer

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 25 06:59:23 PST 2011

> From: Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (Polite Snip)
>
> Then the LP album, "Traditionalism Revisited', came out.
> Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb/p) Jimmy Giuffre (cl/ts/bar) Jim Hall (g) Joe
> Benjamin (sb) Dave Bailey (d)
> Los Angeles. 13 July 1957
> 	Louisiana
> 	Santa Claus Blues
>        Some Sweet Day
>   	Sweet Like This
> 	Ja Da
>      	Don't Be That Way
> Ralph Pena (sb) replaces Joe Benjamin
> Los Angeles. 16 July 1957
>   	Truckin'
>    	Honeysuckle Rose
> You can imagine our surprise, and confusion.
> The very fact that he had chosen to select esoteric stuff from 'our'
> 1920s jazz music lexicon was a plus. In a way
> And, on listening to the arrangements of "Santa Claus Blues", "Sweet
> Like This" and "Some Sweet Day", we realised that certainly knew
> about Clarence Williams, King Oliver, Dave Nelson and Louis.
> He had really listened and picked up on the little hidden things
> within the originals.
> The 10" LP went into my collection, to be brought out on rare
> occasions.
> For old time's sake I replaced it with the CD (and extra tracks)
> back in the 90s.
> When the sad news came through the other week, I dug it out.
> It has weathered well.
> But will not grab the diehards.

Dear Bill:

Thanks for the reminder.

It grabbed me back in the 1950s.VBG  Here's a review of the album when
it was released. The musicians did indeed have a reverence for this
music and as you say, picked up on some of the "little hidden things
within the originals".

"This Pacific Jazz album is a bit unusual. Bob Brookmeyer (on valve
trombone and piano), Jimmy Giuffre (switching between clarinet,
baritone and tenor), guitarist Jim Hall, either Joe Benjamin or Ralph
Pena on bass and drummer Dave Bailey perform eight songs from the
1920s and '30s including some obscurities. While these selections have
occasionally been revived by Dixieland and swing bands, Brookmeyer and
his group use harmonies that were modern for the 1950s to update such
tunes as "Louiaiana," "Truckin'," "Honeysuckle Rose" and even "Santa
Claus Blues." Because the musicians have a respect for the older
styles, they extend rather than break the tradition; the results are
quite enjoyable."

However like you also say, it  "will not grab the diehards." Perhaps
because they will not listen the way you do and hear the modernist
respect for the originals. VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband