[Dixielandjazz] "Who's Yehoodi?" (was Swing is where you find it in New York City)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 24 12:43:51 PST 2011

Marek Boym wrote:
> Now that is funny!  "Yehoodi" means a Jew in Hebrew, and we are still pondering over that question!

Dear Marek,
I had already checked the spelling on the Cab Calloway recording.
It is "Yehoodi".
So, following your comment, I checked the lyrics.
No clues there.

"Who is Yehoodi?" (1940. Bill Seckler, (lyrics) - Matt Dennis (music)

Someone please lend me a hand
Solve this mystery if you can
If he’s mice or if he’s man
Who’s Yehoodi?

G-man Hoover’s getting moody
Got his men on double-duty
Trying to find out who’s Yehoodi
Who’s Yehoodi!

The little man who wasn’t there
Said he heard him on the air
No one seems to know from where ...
But who’s Yehoodi?

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSayyDslS0o
with an extra verse.

Other 'hit' versions of the song were recorded in 1940 by Jerry Colonna and Kay Kyser.
The following is a left-handed 1942 (?) soundie from vocalist Lane Truesdale with a contingent from Kay Kyser's orch.
You may also find the following of interest:
   http://www.guiltandpleasure.com/index.php?site=rebootgp&page=gp_article&id=85http://www.guiltandpleasure.com/index.php?site=rebootgp&page=gp_article&id=85
Happy Hanukkah.
Bill.