[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis and Clapton play Ice Cream

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Dec 23 22:26:29 PST 2011

Steve Barbone wrote:

> Here's some happy music for the Holidays. Not holiday music per se,
> but IMO it swings its ass off.
>
> Ice Cream by Wynton Marsalis tp, Eric Clapton guitar, Marcus Printup
> tp, Chris Crenshaw tb, Victor Goines clt, Dan Zimmer pno, Carlos
> Henriquez, bass, Alan Jackson dms, Chbris Stainton keyboards, Dan
> Vappie banjo, and guest Taj Mahal on Guitar and Vocals.

Strictly my opinion:

The trumpet solos and piano solos are terrible.  Goode bass, drums, trombone and clarinet.

Guitar with a distortion box didn't add anything either.

Ensembles are swinging.  But what in the hell did the trumpets think they were doing on their solos?  Playing Jazz???  I think not.

--Bob Ringwald