[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis Plays King Oliver & Jelly Roll Morton.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 09:13:44 PST 2011

If you play it, they will come.

Wynton Marsalis will lead a band at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola, 2 shows a
night, from December 26 through December 30. The performance features
the music of Jelly Roll Morton and King Oliver. Wish I could go but
ALL 10 PERFORMANCES ARE SOLD OUT. For a look at what some songs may
sound like hear Dead Man Blues at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSoEHUKr7VU
How about that Victor Goines clarinet?
And Ricky 'Dirty Red' Gordon on washboard? Is he a relative Gerry?

Pity the Joint only seats 140. I hope they make a DVD of the concerts.
For info about the venue see:

http://www.jalc.org/venues/dccc/index09.html

Below are critic Nate Chinen's comments about the program.

Mr.Marsalis returns to a familiar concept here, playing his horn and
leading a repertory tribute to two of jazz’s early cornerstones. He
leads a midsize group mainly consisting of his colleagues from the
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra; it’s a foolproof booking, which
partly explains why the engagement sold out well in advance. — NATE
CHINEN

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband