[Dixielandjazz] Hanukkah in Santa Monica

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 21 14:27:30 PST 2011

The sound quality is not the best, but I also enjoy watching list mate
Katie Cavera and CJ do this tune:
(_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbEyRB2fJg_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbEyRB2fJg) )

Ginny

In a message dated 12/21/2011 3:53:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

Gary  Kiser asked about:
Tom Lehrer and
> Hanukkah in Santa Monica
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslsgH3-UFU
> Does anyone know anything  about this recording? I don't believe it is on
his three LPs.

Dear  Gary,
"(I'm Spending) Hanukkah In Santa Monica" was recorded on 26 October  1999
at Sound On Sound Recording, New York, NY.
A new recording produced by  pianist Rob Fisher.
(I have the band personnel if you want it.)
The song  was written by Lehrer for Garrison Keillor's short-lived Saturday
radio show,  'The American Radio Company'.
It was sung on that show in December 1990 and  December 1992 by Ivy Austin
backed by Rob Fisher and His Coffee Club  Orchestra.
According to the notes on my 3-CD boxed set ('The Remains Of Tom  Lehrer'.
Warner Archives Rhino R2 79831) Garrison pointed out "that there just
aren't any popular Hanukkah songs, because no Gentile songwriter ever thought
about writing one, and the great Jewish songwriters were busy writing
Christmas songs."
The wonderful CD set containing 74 songs and released in  2000 also
includes a magnificent 80-page hardcover booklet that contains the  lyrics for 46
Lehrer songs, including this one.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
Who saw a young Tom Lehrer on stage during his 3-month 1959 Australian-New
Zealand tour.