[Dixielandjazz] Paul McCartney to to release standard Album

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 21 09:10:26 PST 2011

> From: tyleman <tyleman at isp.com> wrote (about McCartney's new
> "standards" album)
>
> Artists should stick to do what they do best. Everyone of these
> "standards" albums done by a rock musician has been a stinkeroo.
>
> Honestly,
> Chris

Hi Chris:

Maybe this album will be the exception? McCartney fans can read about
why he did it, who else is on the album, (Diana Krall, Stevie Wonder,
Eric Clapton) and some comments from fans. Plus hear a New song he
wrote "My Valentine" in the style of the standards that influenced
both him and John Lennon when they were kids.

Highlight and paste the ENTIRE below link from his website, into your
browser.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/web/guest/news/-/blogs/paul-announces-brand-new-as-yet-untitled-album?_33_redirect=http%3a%2f%2fwww.paulmccartney.com%2fweb%2fguest%2fblogs-home%3fp_p_id%3d115_INSTANCE_cA00%26p_p_lifecycle%3d0%26p_p_state%3dnormal%26p_p_mode%3dview%26p_p_col_id%3dcolumn-2%26p_p_col_count%3d1%26%23p_115_INSTANCE_cA00&#p_33
#top

Reading the comments so far, from his and/or Beatles fans, fit would
seem that this album will be a hit.

Also interesting is McCartney's take on song writers. According to his
website, "McCartney’s new album is a deeply personal journey through
classic American compositions that, in some cases, a young Paul first
heard his father perform on piano at home."  Here is a part of that
from the site: (BTW, his father was a jazz musician)

In short,Paul believes it is about time “the songs me and John based
quite a few of our things on” received the recognition they deserve.
Moreover, the record also features a couple of new original McCartney
compositions in the spirit of those classics.

“When I kind of got into songwriting, I realised how well structured
these songs were and I think I took a lot of my lessons from them,”
Paul explains. “I always thought artists like Fred Astaire were very
cool. Writers like Harold Arlen, Cole Porter, all of those guys - I
just thought the songs were magical.  And then, as I got to be a
songwriter I thought it’s beautiful, the way they made those song’.”

Perhaps McCartney's love of great American Songbook tunes and
composers, mloves him outside of the box of "Rock Musician "?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband