[Dixielandjazz] Geodixie

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 19 21:23:17 PST 2011

>    Yes!  Very good!  I presume that it would be mainly Australian bands
> who play these tunes, eh?  And they are (ahem) OKOMical (so to speak) in
> style?  Do you know of any recordings that have (some of) these songs on
> them?

Bryce Rhode recorded TURN RIGHT etc in California in June, 1977, released on
Nocturne NRS-303, When reissued on CD MIV 303 it was retitled, either LET'S
HURRY OFF or more Likely SHORT WAY HOME. Both American issues. Maybe not
YKOM

TASMAN BRIDGE was played by Don Burrows at the 1976 Tauranga Jazz Festival
New Zealand in 1976 and issued on Tauranga  PRA-834 - A NZ LP.

BIG WALKABOUT was composed by Bud Baker, recorded by Graeme Bell in London,
July 1951 (on Lake LACD-166) and again in April, 2004. Steve Waddell's
version is on Stomp Off CD1301

I'VE BEEN EVERYWHERE was a tongue twister pop, mentioning dozens of
Australian cities and towns. I believe it has been taken up by other
countries, substituting their own localities.

IS THAT THE WAY? was composed by Ade Monsbourgh, Ian Turner later added
words. It was recorded a number of times by Graeme Bell, Ade Monsbourgh,
Dave Dallwitz and the Golden City Jazz Band.

> P. S. "bugrit"?  Leaving out an internal 'ger ', perhaps?

Definitely

Best wishes
Jack