[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 15:11:26 PST 2011

Hello listmates,
Just back from another very good show by the New Orleans Function in the
Jaffa Art Bar "Saloona."    The band played standards, but with gusto and
enthusiasm.  the regular clarinet player Koby Solomon was missing, so part
of the show was just trumpet, trombone and rhythm, while for the rest a
young (28) saxophonist Yonathan (I know it's Jonathan in English, but we
speak Hebrew in this country) Yudkevich subbed for him.  Not a Dixielander,
but a very good swing player.
The audience was young.  At 70, I was certainly the oldest there, although
there was one guy who looked over 60.  Then there were his partner and my
friend.  The rest of the public was probably in its twenties (my friend
remarked that the people at the bar were older, but still probably well
under 40).  Hardly any dancing - no room - but the band's followers are
young, and come to hear it even at paid venues.  True, admission was low
(at the going exchange rate - around $9) but income in Israel is much lower
than in the States, and prices - much higher.  This was the first time I
heard the band with a washboard - Saloona is located in a residential area,
so loud music is not allowed, and he was requested not to bring a full drum
set.  For the enchore - The Saints - the tap dancer Ronnie Freund joined
the band.  I thought that trading fours between a tap dancer and washboard
was a wonderful idea.

Samuel Adams goes so well with jazz!  Great beer.  We had Octoberfest (so
what if it's mid-December now?) and Imperial White - arguably among the
best what beers in the world!  The also offered Summer Ale - not quite in
season right now!
To sum up - money and time well spent!

As I have already mentioned, last Saturday I attended another good show by
Swing de Gitanes.  There, the audience was unusually old for that band;
some people might have been older than I!  Bur there still was a fair
proportion of younger folks.

Support live jazz!

Cheers

P.S.
This links with Jim Kashinian
s and Steve Barbone's recent postings: if you play at places accessible to
younger audiences, you'll attract them.  The festivals may be dying, but
audiences are not!