[Dixielandjazz] Lu Watters Centennial

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Mon Dec 5 22:38:13 PST 2011

I had  a wonderful afternoon/evening Sunday Dec 4, with many of my jazz
friends at the celebration of what would have been Lu Watters' 100th
birthday.

  John Gill's Yerba Buena Stompers put on a great concert at Bimbo's 365
Club in San Francisco.

The band consisted of:
Leon Oakley, Duke Heitger trumpet's, Orange Kellin clarinet, Tom
Bartlett trombone, Conal Fowkes, piano, Kevin Dorn drums, Clint Baker
tuba, and John Gill banjo and leader.  They played from a set list
created by Lu in 1946.  In my opinion the highlights were Big Bear Stomp
and Emperor Norton's Hunch.

In attendance was Charles "Duff" Campbell, of "revenge" fame.

Great time, and it was recorded for a future CD release.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA