[Dixielandjazz] Nick's

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 07:29:56 PST 2011

>  Donald Mopsick <dmopsick at gmail.com> wrote
>

> "A Night at Nick's" is being rebroadcast this week on Riverwalk Jazz
> starting today. You may remember that there were listener
> contributions to the production of this show including one very
> frequent contributor to this list.
>
> For those of you who don't yet know, Nick's Steak House in Greenwich
> Village in NYC was a major venue for hot jazz. Condon, Hackett, Wild
> Bill, many others were major contributors to the sound that later came
> to be known as "Nicksieland." Others who played there were Pee Wee
> Russell, Johnny Varro, Kenny Davern. So listen to the show already.
> Also, look at some groovy photographs of musicians and Nick's interior
> shots. The place doesn't exist anymore except in the minds of those
> who were there or can hear the recordings.
>
> Stream it now at http://riverwalkjazz.org

By all means listen to this program. Several of us who used to
frequent the joint talk about it during the show. In fact, the 2nd
voice you hear, a guy talking about how supportive the musos were, and
sitting in there at 16 years old,if you were serious about jazz, . . .
is mine.

Later on I reminisce about the interior and ambience of the joint.
Some great players, in addition to those mopo named, played there:

Bechet, Irwin, Maxted, Condon, Teagarden, Russo, Pace, Sbarbaro
(Spargo), Gifford, Napoleon, and a lot more.

I loved that place.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband