[Dixielandjazz] A little more Josephine Baker

tyleman tyleman at isp.com
Fri Dec 2 02:31:08 PST 2011

I was very fortunate to have been a member of the band for the show "A
La Recherche du Josphine," http://www.alarecherchedejosephine.fr/ .
Working the show increased my knowledge of Josephine's life and
career, since most of her life was spent in France working in what
would likely be considered more the popular field of music, rather
than jazz.

There's a very nice website dedicated to her "castle" in the Dordogne
area of France, Chateau Milandes (http://www.milandes.com/). I was
there in September, and it's a very beautiful place, set on the
Dordogne river, in a very beautiful part of the world. I didn't go in
the Chateau - there were hundreds of tourists waiting for the tour -
on a weekday! The castle has been turned into a museum dedicated to
her life, and website shows some of the highlights of what is on
display there. There's even a restaurant, serving reasonably priced
local specialities,  (cassoulet, duck confit, etc.) (you can check out
the menu on the site).

Regards,
Chris

--