[Dixielandjazz] Play The Melody!

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Aug 30 15:05:03 PDT 2011

Eric
We play the melody straight the first time.  I really appreciate that when I
play with other bands since several of them are into rather obscure tunes.
It gives me a chance to hear it once before I have to take a crack at it.  I
am a pretty quick study and can improv at almost anything if I hear it but
as someone else said when the lead player goes into space with the lead it
can give me fits.

Since I play tenor and soprano sax I usually get the first solo and playing
a counter melody part the first time through gives me a chance to "rehearse"
my solo against the melody.  When I take my chorus I pretty much know what I
am going to do even if I don't know the tune.

On the other hand I really don't think everyone playing the head is a good
idea.  That really sucks.
Larry
StL